WHAT WE DO
Transport is increasingly recognised as a critical part of infrastructure to support economic growth and maintain living standards in our cities. Our Australasian team offers broad experience across the key transport sectors of rail, road, sea and air and related infrastructure sectors. The establishment of business cases, financial modelling and strategy are team strengths.
HOW WE DO IT
Services offered by the team include:
- Project strategy and financing
- Feasibility studies
- Procurement and KPIs
- Financial structuring and modelling
- Business case development
- Modelling of tolling and pricing structures
- Advice on alternative procurement structures, such as PPPs
- Structuring and implementation of joint ventures and partnerships
- Risk assessment
WHAT WE HAVE DONE FOR OUR CLIENTS
RAIL AND BUS
- Member three firm consortium providing the NSW $1b Maldon to Dombarton Rail Link Feasibility Study covering demand, technical requirements, detailed construction costing and funding options.
- Financially modelled the Wellington passenger rail network for the Transport Ministry to better understand the differences in operating costs between Wellington and Auckland metro systems.
RAIL AND BUS
- Provided commercial advice and whole of life financial modelling for Auckland Transport's buying of 58 trains, costing $500m, for Auckland's new electric rail service. Also prepared a financial model for Auckland Transport to understand the operating costs of running the new train fleet. Provided commercial advice and financial modelling for the building of a new maintenance depot in Auckland.
- Prepared an independent assessment of the financial implications and commercial consideration of the options for the proposed $60m Weiti Toll Road devleopment, including a PPP arrangement and BOOT scheme, with the Rodney District Council undertaking the project.
- Appointed to Auckland Transport's Road Corridor Maintenance (RCM) Legal and Commercial Panel, which is developing a new procurement process for the combined $300m annual RCM expenditure
- Developed for Auckland Transport a strategic level RCM KPI indicator framework consistent with NZ Transport Agency and Transport Ministry frameworks .
- Analysed for Auckland Transport existing RCM contracts in the Auckland southern region to determine the value being delivered for a comparison against the new RCM contracts when tendered.
- Developed for Rodney District Council a Public Private Partnership business case for the proposed Penlink toll road, valued at more than $200m. Work included financially modelling Penlink over a 35 year period, development of alternative financing structures, consideration of alternative options and risk analysis. The work enabled the council to approve the project and present a business case to the Government for approval.
SEA AND AIR
- Provided independent advice to North Shore City and Waitakere City Councils on the viability of establishing a commercial airport at Whenuapai, Auckland.
- Advised on development of the business case, structuring and negotiations for Titanium Park, a $300m commercial development on 78 hectares of surplus land surrounding Hamilton airport, involving Hamilton International Airport Limited and McConnell Properties.
SEA AND AIR
- Advised Hamilton International Airport on its successful negotiations over landing fees, terminal charges and the introduction of a domestic terminal departure levy with Air New Zealand.
- Advised the majority shareholders of Marstel, a major New Zealand terminal operator, with nine sites across Australasia, on the sale of its shareholding to Oslo-listed Stolt-Neilsen, the world's 12th biggest shipping company.
- Undertook a peer review of new and expanding car parking buildings for Waitemata DHB and the Health Ministry.
- Developed a long-term parking policy and implementation for Rodney District Council, including preparing the business case, a financial model and introducing on-street parking charges for Orewa and Warkworth and PPP options for building a 1200 bay parking building in Orewa.